As part of my on-going efforts to publish some of my older research I have gotten round to producing a paper on my work to produce a simple dynamic method to adapt content to different tabletop display shapes. The paper details how the technique work, specifically how it resolves the initial issues encountered fitting the content to a new display shape then how it attempts to make the most of the new display. Also detailed in the paper is a study assessing how the technique performs with some tabletop apps and a discussion on where the technique could be useful in the future.
I’ve recently taken the time to get a paper published on a technique I started development on as part of my final year undergraduate studies several years ago. The technique uses a small number of user inputs on a touch-screen which relate to the known position of landmarks in an environment to determine the position of an interface. The publication details a study investigating how big of an impact user’s accuracy has on the technique.
Earlier this year I was involved in supporting a study which investigated how technology could support collaboration between primary-school aged students in separate classrooms. As part of this study the SynergyNet software framework was used. This is the first time SynergyNet had been used in a study spanning multiple sites and required a few tweaks to get working.
First Steps in Computer Science; the SynergyNet app (discussed previously here), has been employed as part of a trial taking place in various schools to evaluate its effectiveness in supporting teachers with the new computer science curriculum for Key Stage 1 in the UK.
SynergyNet, the multi-touch framework built to support applications intended for classroom use, has had an update. As part of the recent move to the new repository, the code for SynergyNet 3.1 has been made available. While it may not appear that different to SynergyNet 3, the new version offers an improved experience for developers.