As part of my on-going efforts to publish some of my older research I have gotten round to producing a paper on my work to produce a simple dynamic method to adapt content to different tabletop display shapes. The paper details how the technique work, specifically how it resolves the initial issues encountered fitting the content to a new display shape then how it attempts to make the most of the new display. Also detailed in the paper is a study assessing how the technique performs with some tabletop apps and a discussion on where the technique could be useful in the future.
I’ve recently taken the time to get a paper published on a technique I started development on as part of my final year undergraduate studies several years ago. The technique uses a small number of user inputs on a touch-screen which relate to the known position of landmarks in an environment to determine the position of an interface. The publication details a study investigating how big of an impact user’s accuracy has on the technique.
Earlier this year I was involved in supporting a study which investigated how technology could support collaboration between primary-school aged students in separate classrooms. As part of this study the SynergyNet software framework was used. This is the first time SynergyNet had been used in a study spanning multiple sites and required a few tweaks to get working.
Earlier this year (March 2016) I started working as a volunteer at Durham University’s Technology Enhanced Learning Special Interest Group (DU-TEL-SIG). As part of my role within this group I have set up a new site which will provide up-to-date news on current developments carried out by the DU-TEL-SIG: tel.dur.ac.uk
I find that xubuntu leaves me wanting for very little feature-wise. The only thing I’ve ever felt disappointed by is its lack of a readily available Heads-Up Display (HUD) for searching through app menus with. It now looks like this one issue has been resolved with the hud-menu script.
Previously I posted a script for use on Linux systems which stops xscreensaver from kicking in when a full-screen window has focus. While useful for some setups this script isn’t well suited to multiple monitor configurations where the likelihood of a full-screen window not having focus is greater. This post details a script which remedies this problem.